Government of Pakistan is represented at BISP through the Council. The Council is the highest authority at BISP. The President of Pakistan is the Chief Patron, and the Prime Minister is the Executive Patron of the Council. Members of the Council are appointed by the Chief Patron on advice of the Executive Patron, and are highly reputable, distinguished, and well accomplished national and international individuals,. Chairperson BISP serves as an ex officio member of the Council. The Council meets annually and has the following powers and functions:
• To mobilize financial resources for the Programme, specifically for the Safety Net Programme;
• To advise BISP Board on the following matters:
• policies on poverty reduction;
• enhancement of the Programme;
• reaching out to the donors through the Chairperson of the Programme; and
• affairs of the Board and performance of its functions.